Not sure what you want to do? Try the course finder to find a course for you
Browse or search our wide range of short courses
Search for courses and information applicable to International Students
Information and courses for the Adult Migrant English Program
Information and courses for Polytechnic West Higher Education Program
WA Centre for IT Excellence Career pathways and courses
Australian Centre for Work Safety
Information for Occupational Health and Safety Career pathways and courses
Polytechnic West Library
Help and support students and staff in their learning and teaching endeavours.
Equine Training Centre
Polytechnic West's Equine Training Centre, also located in Armadale, is arguably the best horse training facility in the State. It has established strong links with the racing, breeding and farriery industries, with graduates keenly sought to work in racing and pacing stables, horse studs, agistment centres, industry administration, veterinary practices or related areas.
The purpose built classrooms, stable complex, large all-weather demonstration area, training ring, pacing and racing track, tack rooms and associated facilities provide students with outstanding facilities to learn how to handle and manage horses and farm animals.
Getting here and contact details
General Enquiries: 9267 7777
Course Information: 9267 7500
Equine Centre: 9390 0322
Lot 6 Westfield Road, Armadale WA 6112
The Equine Training Centre is serviced by bus number 245, which travels half hourly in a circular route, connecting Armadale and Kelmscott.
Access to information is easy
The library provides:
A large and diverse resource collection of books, magazines and DVDs;
- Assistance with researching for information and answers to reference enquiries;
- Information sessions on library and information services, supported with published and online information guides;
- Assistance with study, referencing and learning skills;
- Networked and wireless computer areas;
- Access to electronic information such as internet and databases; and
- Access to audiovisual equipment.
Students can access Polytechnic West’s Library catalogue, databases and web directories, as well as the Student Portal, from the Library website. Library publications including referencing and study guides can be freely downloaded from the website.
The library also has information on opening hours, contact details, library policies and rules, interactive tours and services.
The Equine Training Facility is a specialist centre within Polytechnic West.
Strong Ties with Industry
Strong industry support for the Centre includes providing animals for students to learn hands-on skills. For example, a top breeder in W A provides each year’s weanlings for students to handle. The weanlings then take part in a parade, organised by students and attended by industry representatives.
The Centre has an excellent reputation in the industry, and graduates are keenly sought to work in racing and pacing stables, horse studs, agistment centres, industry administration, veterinary practices or related areas.
Entry Level Training for Careers
The Centre provides entry level training for careers including:
- Stablehand - Racing, Pacing, Horse Studs, Equestrian (Dressage, Eventing, Showjumping and recreation) stables
- Stable foreperson - stablehand duties in the absence of the manager and supports the manager in daily routines
- Stable manager - in racing stables this person is usually a licensed trainer, on horse studs this person is the stud master or stud manager
- Trackrider - in the pacing (Standardbred) and racing (Thoroughbred) Industries
- Jockey - in the racing (thoroughbred) Industries
- Reinsperson - pacing (Standardbred) Industry
- Rider - Equestrian industry
- Coach - Equestrian industry
- Horse Educator (breaking-in)